Please contact Terrajoule or one of its distribution partners for information about costs for a specific application. Terrajoule systems are modular. The size of each major system component is independently configurable:
- Annual Energy Production is a function of Solar Collector Area and Direct Normal Irradiation (DNI).
- Peak Power Output is a function of the number of Steam Engine modules installed. The increment is 425 kW of Peak Power, or 125 kW of nominal/typical power.
- Energy Storage Capacity is a function of the number of Energy Storage Units installed. The increment is 600 kWh of net electricity storage capacity.
The capital cost of a solar system for a specific application can be broken down into:
- Price per Peak Watt ($/Wpeak) at a given Capacity Factor. The Capacity Factor multiplied by the Peak Power of a system determines the Annual Energy Production.
- Price per kWh of Net Electrical Storage Capacity.
For deliveries in 2015:
- The Price per Peak Watt will be in the range $1.50/Wpeak to $2.00/Wpeak at a 20% Capacity Factor, depending on system size, DNI and other factors. For most applications the Price per Watt Peak will be comparable to the price for a PV solar panel system at the equivalent Capacity Factor.
- The Price per kWh of Net Electrical Storage Capacity will be less than $100/kWh. This is a fraction of the cost of batteries. When comparing to battery cost, the battery cost must take into account useful life based on cycle limitations (number of charge/discharge cycles), degradation of capacity during useful life, net charge/discharge losses, disposal costs, and all balance of system costs. Terrajoule storage has essentially unlimited life, no capacity degradation, no significant impact on Annual Energy Production, and in the distant future event of disposal has component resale value in excess of removal cost.
The cost of all of the components of Terrajoule systems will drop year-by-year at a substantially faster rate than either PV solar panel systems or battery systems.
Benefits and Payback
The benefits of a Terrajoule system for a given application will include some or all of the following:
- Short Payback on Capital via Avoided Expense. Operating expense is reduced via reduction in diesel fuel costs and/or reduction in direct electricity costs. Annual Avoided Expense will yield a Payback Period on Capital in the range of 2 to 5 years for appropriate applications.
- Eliminate a Large Portion of Energy Expenses. An appropriate Terrajoule system application will eliminate 80% to 100% of energy expenses.
- Eliminate Dependency on Electricity and/or Diesel Supply.
- Useful System Life of at least 25 Years. A Terrajoule system will continue to eliminate operating expense for decades after it has paid back the capital invested.
- 100% Clean Energy. Terrajoule systems have zero emissions, have a low cradle-to-grave carbon footprint, and are comprised of non-toxic materials (primarily iron, steel, glass, and water).